[MPWG] Public input requested by March 26, 2006: Initiation of 5-Year Rev...

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 11:58:41 CST 2006

Hello,
I'd just like to chime in, not all wildcrafters are doing so for  market.
Some (an undocumented amount) are doing so for medicine.
Also, though Robyn makes some good points, I am wondering if it's true that
"uncommon species may not look familiar to the wildcrafter, who is used to
more  common related species."
Actually, every wildcrafter I know has a good knowledge of botany and local
plant identification.  The wildcrafters I know are plant nuts and they are
very familiar with the rare and unique plants of their locales.  I suppose  it's
all dependent on local circumstances.   For example, here there  is no
problem locating Lobelia inflata, it self-seeds and scatters  excellently.  Here,
the wildcrafters are the members of the native plant  society and sierra club
and rare plant forum and so on.  People who don't  know the plants just aren't
out there gathering them.  People who don't  have that certain affinity for the
plants don't know their value, at market  or as medicine. This is a rather
affluent area, though, so perhaps  it's unique.
An additional point I'd like to make is that each plant has specific  use/s
and a specific energetic.  If you need coptis, you need coptis.   If you need
goldenseal, you need goldenseal.  There are of course some  applications where
barberry might suffice in the stead of either but, generally  speaking the
"law of specifics" counts for something, and at times  (frequently) it is the
rule and not the exception.
Additionally, though of course this varies as well, but in many cases, the
wildcrafters are working to help the plant community sustain itself.   Steven
Foster has a marvelous example of gentian collectors in Montenegro  replanting
and attending to the resource BECAUSE OF their collection  activities.
Here where I live -- and this too is perhaps because of the area's relative
affluence -- it's not traditional wildcrafters but the nursery /  landscapers
who are out there taking plants away seemingly without concern  for replanting
/ reseeding.  We have (had) a wonderful wild azalea in  the woods here, all
but gone now to nursery scavengers.  One giant stand of  hepatica I used to
visit frequently around this time of year as the ephemerals  come into blossom is
gone completely, the slope where they were growing is  now eroding badly
right into the creek.  A good sized stand of rare bottle  gentian nearby also
disappeared in the same week. Sorry but, that had to be  a landscaper.
At any rate, I don't think it's fair to assume that wildcrafters are
unfamiliar with their local flora, or that they are all commercial gatherers, or
that they are not engaged in stewardship.  Also, it might be unwise to  assume
that just because sundew is hard to find there are not commercial  wildcrafters
out there seeking it specifically BECAUSE it is rare and might  therefore
bring a better price.
Best regards everyone, Jennifer Chesworth

In a message dated 3/28/2006 12:25:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,