[MPWG] Ginseng production in containers?

Chip Carroll chipc at ruralaction.org
Mon Feb 13 09:33:26 CST 2006

Steve,

A good ginseng site should need little to no soil amending.  Most WS
growers will use calcium in the form of gypsum if calcium levels are below
2000 Lbs/acre.  Shoot for a Ph between 5-6.  Bob Beyfuss at Cornell has
done alot of work on this, also, Scott Persons has a new book out that
talks in detail about all of this;
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0914875426/sr=1-1/qid=1138816384/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-6270884-1115301?%5Fencoding=UTF8>Growing
& Marketing Ginseng, Goldenseal & Other Woodland Medicinals by W. Scott
Persons, Jeanine M. Davis

I have had very good success planting seeds in flats or containers and then
transplanting into the forest after about 6 mos. of growing.  I have done
this many times when I still have seed left come Spring, sow in flats and
keep protected (watered is necessary) until the roots form their bud for
next years growth.  Once that bud is formed (Mid-July here in Ohio), they
can be transplanted 1 by 1 fairly easily and most will come back the
following spring.  This is never the preferred method, it is much easier to
plant/grow ginseng in the forest than in containers.

As several folks have already described, you ought to be able to direct
seed in the wild simulated fashion and plant these much quicker than sowing
in flats or containers.  10-12 seeds/Sq. Ft. may be a little too thick a
seeding rate, if you try to get a 4-6 seeds /Sq. Ft. seeding rate, you will
likely end up with approx. 1-2 plants Sq. Ft. at maturity (optimal
density), the rest will have thinned themselves out over time.  If you are
going to use containers, I would suggest a native woodland soil mix with
sand or perlite/vermiculite if you need better drainage, put some gravel or
pebbles in the bottom of the containers.  Using composts or other potting
media will greatly increase your chances of disease & root rot.

Hope this helps!

Chip

At 12:03 PM 2/10/2006, Steve Diver wrote:
>Geetings MPWG -
>
>I'm familiar with ginseng cultivation via wild simulated in
>forests and bed production in a shade house.
>
>A start-up farmer that I'm working with has a nice forest
>location to try the wild simulated method.   Do you think
>that rock phosphate and compost or humates are an
>essential soil amendment, or just plant into native soils?
>
>But the real question relates to container production of
>ginseng, for eventual transplanting into beds or forest,
>or perhaps from seed-to-havest in three to five years down
>the road.  The farmer has too many stratified seeds and
>too little time to forest plant the whole "pound" of seeds by
>end of February to mid-March.
>
>Is there any experience raising quality medicinal ginseng
>in containers and pots.... any size and shape, or troughs.
>
>Knowledge of compost-based potting mixes and organic
>fertility is readily available.
>
>Just need to know if ginseng can be successfully
>raised in pots and obtain medicinal quality for sale into the
>trade, and if there is any technical literature on container
>production.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Diver
>Fayetteville, Arkansas

>Disclaimer
>Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
>reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
>information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
>substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
>medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare
>information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by
>the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts
>do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant
>Conservation Alliance.

Chip Carroll
NTFP Research Education & Demonstration Coordinator
Rural Action Forestry
Appalachian Forest Resource Center
33560 Beech Grove Rd.
Rutland, Ohio 45775