[MPWG] Ginseng production in containers?

ForestRuss at aol.com ForestRuss at aol.com
Mon Feb 13 08:16:19 CST 2006

Robyn:

Ginseng is a very complex plant with a variety of chemical  constituents that
many members of the MPWG list-serve know far more  specifics of than I but I
could ever profess to understand.

However, I would like to offer that there is a significant difference
between the chemical make up and potentially, the medicinal value  of cultivated
ginseng roots that are grown in beds under artificial  shade with the aid of
mechanized equipment, chemical fertilizers and  pesticides and the older and
longer grown wild and wild  simulated roots that are produced under natural
circumstances in a native  forest habitat.

Wild simulated ginseng production on an ongoing basis is a method of  applied
"in situ" conservation that will guarantee the long term survival of  this
important forest plant and allow high quality wild and wild simulated  American
ginseng to continue to be available to a discerning global  market.

Russ Richardson, CF
Arnoldsburg, WV