[MPWG] Ginseng production in containers?

cafesombra at aol.com cafesombra at aol.com
Sat Feb 11 16:08:37 CST 2006

This is great advice about planting ginseng, but I still can't get even one seed past the wild turkeys, who literally gobble them up before the mice and chipmonks can get at them.

Here in PA there are so many rocks just under the forest soil that most plants are growing in what are basically pockets of soil, or right on top of rocks, I am not so sure that isn't fairly much like a "container" after all.  If as Susan comments the market wants "perceived" wild roots, why not start them in containers, kept somewhere where the wild turkey and mice won't get at them, and then plant them out once you've got a seedling?  Lots of work yes but at least you know you've got germination.

Just a thought.  Maybe I'll try it myself, since in my case it would be for personal use and not for the perceived wild market.

Best regards, Jennifer Chesworth