[MPWG] poaching, etc.

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 11:16:41 CDT 2005

In a message dated 10/26/2005 11:24:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jmcgraw at wvu.edu writes:

overabundant deer are
quite likely to be the cause in many  cases.

This is quite true.  However, in my neck of the woods,  overabundant private
logging of public lands is, though missing from  most conversations about
conservation, as or more significant than deer,  and in fact exacerbates the
problem of prolific deer populations.   This season I am noting logging trucks
passing down the center of my town which  has never happened with such frequency
in the past.  At my home adjacent to  the state forest 2 or 3 full logging
trucks per day have been passing my  house.  The east is being harvested more
aggressively at a time when our  eastern forests are in crisis -- only about 1/3
of the leaves drew fall colors  this year ( ! ), our forests are still leaved
and green now at the end of  October when they should be nearly bear, snow feel
early and the trees are  breaking apart (again) brittle and weak from lack of
water.  the  ground plants are certainly no better off especially once their
canopy is  removed.  As a wildcrafter I have noticed that the teaberry
(Gautheria  procumens), japanese barberry and the white snake root are often the only
 survivors in these "selective" clearcutting operations.  Then the field
plants, burdock mullein and couch grass, move in and take over.
-- Jennifer
_www.herbalistswithoutborders.org_ (http://www.herbalistswithoutborders.org/)