[MPWG] poaching, etc.

Jim McGraw jmcgraw at wvu.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:15:27 CDT 2005

I am glad to see the issue of poaching in parks continues to
stimulate interest in ginseng population biology.  As part of our
extensive monitoring efforts, we are examining park populations.  I
would caution everyone who goes looking for ginseng in the fall that
if it is missing from a place where it was formerly present, one
should not necessarily jump to the conclusion that it has been
poached by human harvesters.  As my ex-graduate student, Mary Ann
Furedi, showed in her careful observations, overabundant deer are
quite likely to be the cause in many cases.  Some of her populations
were 100% browsed in certain years in certain populations, by August.
In the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge, that source of ginseng
disappearance would not surprise me.  The careful work of park
personnel in the Smokies with labeled roots illustrates that illegal
harvest, too, can be a source of the disappearance, as some of those
roots have shown up at dealers.

As a slight correction to Bob Beyfuss' comments about our research,
what we have shown with modeling simulations is that a ginseng
steward who DOES NOT HARVEST and PLANTS ALL SEEDS OF EXISTING
REPRODUCTIVE ADULTS 1 INCH DEEP can ultimately grow a population by
up to 30% per year (1.3-fold increase per year).  Over time, such a
population steward could create quite a large population of native
genotypes.  This would be a good thing; perhaps this discussion can
stimulate some of you to engage in this truly beneficial act of
stewardship!  As a conservation biologist, I do have concerns about
planting cultivated stock in wild lands, and unfortunately, massive
seed planting efforts, at present, could only be done with cultivated
stock since so few local seed sources have been developed.  I have no
problem with landowners engaging in wild-simulated ginseng growing,
but this activity could benefit greatly by development of local seed
sources so the genetic integrity of nearby wild populations is
maintained.  It seems to me this offers a business opportunity for
rural landowners in two respects: (1) becoming seed sellers with
local 'varietal' ginseng seeds, and (2) developing 'branding'
opportunities for local genotypes that may develop a reputation for
particular potency in the Asian market.  Products from Vermont maple
syrup to Bordeaux wine carry a regional cachet reflected in their
market price.

Best wishes, Jim McGraw

--
*************************************************************************************************************************************
"Beyond all plans and programs, true conservation is ultimately

-Udall, 1963

James B. McGraw,  Eberly Professor of Biology
Dept. of Biology, P. O. Box 6057
West Virginia University
Morgantown, WV  26506-6057
Phone: 304-293-5201 x 31532

Office: Room 5204, Life Sciences Building
Lab:  Room 5209/5211
Dept. web page: http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology
JBM's web page: http://www.as.wvu.edu/biology/faculty/mcgraw.html
JBM's extensive personal web page: