[MPWG] ARTICLE: Poachers Looting National Parks of Treasures

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 26 08:54:53 CDT 2005

I read the article and here is the second paragraph.

"Looking over a vast hollow filled with wildflowers and vibrant grasses
last month, Wissinger tried in vain to spot the small ginseng plants that
used to grow there in profusion but are now being stolen to make tea,
health supplements and aphrodisiacs"

If Wissinger is looking for ginseng from a distance growing among "vibrant
grasses" he does not know what he is looking for. Ginseng does not grow
among grasses and never did. American ginseng is an easily grown, renewable
resource that can quickly be restored in suitable habitats, provided these
habitats are not paved over or developed into concession stands or
destroyed in some other man made fashion. Resource managers should spend
less time whining over the disappearance of easily grown plants like
ginseng and more time replanting them. If half the time and resources spent
searching for ginseng poachers were spent on replanting ginseng it could
easily become abundant. Private stewardship and wild simulated systems of
growing ginseng on private property annually provides 70,000 pounds or more
of dried roots each year for export to China. Recent research by Dr James
McGraw at West Virginia University, a highly respected Population
biologist,  indicates that by carefully replanting ginseng berries when
they are ripe, reproductive capacity can be increased by as much as 30
fold. This is likely the main reason why we still have so many small
populations thriving.  Most people who harvest ginseng are not evil
poachers. They are stewards of a renewable natural resource that has been
used by humans for hundreds of years. The US Fish and Wildlife Service has
imposed even stricter harvest regulations on ginseng that only serve to
discourage the people who have stewarded the plants for generations. They
cite poaching on public lands as a reason for their concern yet the
regulations will have no effect on poaching whatsoever. A few years ago I
had a conversation with a biologist studying ginseng in a National Park.
The biologist has expended close to 1,000 hours studying a population of 50
plants that eventually got poached, much to her dismay and anger. I could
not help but think of just how much ginseng I could have planted in 1,000
hours.