[MPWG] ARTICLE: Poachers Looting National Parks of Treasures

Marla Emery memery at fs.fed.us
Wed Oct 26 13:33:08 CDT 2005

Olivia,

Thanks so much for serving as a messenger.  Articles such as this
definitely occasion vigorous and useful debate!

Cheers,
Marla

Marla R. Emery, Ph.D.
Research Geographer
Aiken Forestry Sciences Laboratory
705 Spear Street, P.O. Box 968
Burlington, VT  05402-0968
(802)951-6771 ext. 1060
http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/burlington/nontimb

             Olivia Kwong
             <plant at plantconse
             rvation.org>                                               To
             Sent by:                  <mpwg at lists.plantconservation.org>
             MPWG-bounces at list                                          cc
             s.plantconservati
             on.org                                                Subject
                                       Re: [MPWG] ARTICLE: Poachers
                                       Looting National Parks of Treasures
             10/26/2005 11:30
             AM

To everyone that reads this list,

I post links & summaries to articles I spot pertaining to medicinal plants
in major news outlets because it seems prudent to know what the general
public is being "fed" by the way of information on medicinals.  That is
not to say that I consider these articles to be absolutely factual or
agree with their particular contents.

Knowing what people are reading about medicinals is a very important part
of medicinal plant conservation because our public outreach efforts need
to reach these folks and it needs to be done with correct information.  I
suggest to anyone that finds these articles incorrect in facts or has
other concerns to not only post to this list in response (which is
generally filled with like-minded people), but to actually contact the
newspapers/media and/or the reporter that produced the piece with your
concerns.  You should probably even contact the agencies doing whatever it
is you disagree with as well with your criticisms and suggestions.

I'm just the messenger when I post these links.  My point is that in order
to effectively conserve plants, we need to reach the general public.  If
we don't do it, then the media is going to continue to churn out articles
"educating" the public without showing them the complete picture.

Olivia
CPC/PCA
http://www.nps.gov/plants/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/23/AR2005102300796.html

> > By Juliet Eilperin
> > Washington Post Staff Writer
> > Monday, October 24, 2005; Page A08
> >
> > SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK, Va. -- A self-described "old-timer," Skip
> > Wissinger has spent 32 years traversing the park's 300 square miles and
> > identifying its natural treasures. But now many of the park's most
prized
> > resources -- its American ginseng plants, black bears and unusual
> > butterflies -- are disappearing.

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information
that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the
individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not
reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation
Alliance.