[MPWG] Moosli in Florida

Michael Schenk schenkmj at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 12:30:17 CST 2005

Dr. Oudhia,

I would be very cautious about recommending foreign plants to grow in Florida.  The young and warm ecosystem there is prone to invasion by exotics.  If these plants do well there, they could escape cultivation and become potentially serious pests.  Florida already has too many problems with introduced species.

Regards,
Michael Schenk

Dear Group Members,

       I have received query from North Florida for the cultivation of Indian medicinal
plants (Message is pasted below). Safed Moosli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) and Satavar
(Asparagus racemosus). I am not aware of climatic and edaphic conditions of zone
8. Please inform me more about it and also try to answer his query.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia
 Dr. Pankaj Oudhia,  I am intersted in the moosli plant. I have a farm in North
Florida and sell my produce at a local farmers market. Many of my customers are
of Indian descent and constantly ask me if I would grow plants of Eastern origin.
Would plants such as satawar and moosli do well in a zone 8  where we have frequent
sub 32 F days in the winter.              Thanks, William Gibbons   WellbornFarms at aol.com