[MPWG] Moosli in Florida

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 00:41:18 CST 2005

Very true. In India we are facing the same problem. There must be standard procedure before introducing any exotic plant at agriculture crop. I am expecting that such procedures must be there in your country. In India we are opposing the large scale plantation (In millions of hactares) of exotic plant Jatropha and giving emphasis on native biodiesel plants like Pongamia.

Thanks again for your reply. I will forward it to the William.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia

Michael Schenk <schenkmj at earthlink.net> wrote:
Dr. Oudhia,

I would be very cautious about recommending foreign plants to grow in Florida. The young and warm ecosystem there is prone to invasion by exotics. If these plants do well there, they could escape cultivation and become potentially serious pests. Florida already has too many problems with introduced species.

Regards,
Michael Schenk

Dear Group Members,

I have received query from North Florida for the cultivation of Indian medicinal
plants (Message is pasted below). Safed Moosli (Chlorophytum borivilianum) and Satavar
(Asparagus racemosus). I am not aware of climatic and edaphic conditions of zone
8. Please inform me more about it and also try to answer his query.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia
Dr. Pankaj Oudhia, I am intersted in the moosli plant. I have a farm in North
Florida and sell my produce at a local farmers market. Many of my customers are
of Indian descent and constantly ask me if I would grow plants of Eastern origin.
Would plants such as satawar and moosli do well in a zone 8 where we have frequent
sub 32 F days in the winter. Thanks, William Gibbons WellbornFarms at aol.com

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc. reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.