[MPWG] eat the weeds

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 09:55:25 CST 2005

I am Forwarding a news item written on my work on utilization aspect of weeds.
Weed wise or weed savvy?
By Aakanksha Kumar
http://www.teriin.org/terragreen/issue33/feature.htm

More details are available at
Glimpses of my research and ethnomedico surveys focused on medicinal
herbs in Chhattisgarh, India
Pankaj Oudhia
http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/52_ethnomedico.html

regards
Pankaj Oudhia

Center for Sustainable Resources <sustainableresources at hotmail.com> wrote:
It sounds like you are moving in the correct direction as you mention
utilization.
The first step in management is to determine what you want out of it and how
you want the land to be in the future.
All land no matter where you are falls on a continuum of 1-10 of brittleness
known as the brittleness scale. This is typically just a guide about you
climate and how well moisture is used and it's consistency througout the
year. In more brittle parts of the world the land never rest. Man has
created rest by removing animals in those areas. Rest is lethal in brittle
environments and the land will quickly become dead. All problems with
natural resources really are connected to biodiversity loss.
It is simplistic to associate that with one plant when most life is in the
soil. If a dense monoculture of a plant is forming poor management by humans
is usually where the cause is although some natural disasters can cause such
situations. Many weed problems can be corrected with planned grazing ,
animal impact with herd effect. and proper monitoring.
Focusing on what you want there rather than what you don't want and
manageing for what you want is a better approach. Don't worry about the
weeds just address what you want.
Holistic Management can assist you. Fred Hays