[MPWG] eat the weeds

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:52:45 CST 2005

I suspect the only way you might see the light would be in a long
discussion.
The same old simplistic notions long established by the system you claim
such contempt for is what fogs you reasoning. I will point out a few things.
Weeds don't invade they occupy openings left by poor management (Land
Management).
You can't manage plants anymore than you can manage starrs.
Most biodiversity is in the soil. It has been proven that even on grass land
that has heavy livestock or on forest land that has heavy trees standing
more living matter by weight exist in the top eight inches of soil than all
life above ground. The biodiversity in the soil is so great and so complex
that it is much easier to just blame a plant you don't want than to address
the root cause of the problem.
Linear sciens is for applying parts to machines. Holistic science is for
working with ecosystem processes. You apply parts to a car. You play a
violin.
I don't have a problem with weeds and don't anticipate one.
Provate land onership and the conservation by the people on the land is the
only way you are able to sit down and eat each day. No, you can't tell me
what I can grow and you never will, not in this country and not in this
life.
The rationale you present is no different than that which succeed in germany
in the 1930s as one responder pointed out. You are welcome to kick around
weeds as much as you want but don't try to impose that on people actually
addressing problems.
By addressing the root cause of any biological problem one can truly make a
difference. Blaming weeds does nothing but waste time and waste resources.
Our problems are much more serious than that and you trivialize what is
truly wrong through no fault of your own. I am sure you have had good
teachers and many good myths to adhere too.
People through the ceturies have made decisions in one way only and what you
adhere to is no different. We have experienced in the past 100 years two
thirds of the planet becoming desert due to this decision making process.
Read Allan Savory's book "Holistic Management" if you want to see how the
planet will be saved if it is to be saved. Fred Hays