[MPWG] Re: Hawaiian perspectives

David Bruce Leonard herbnerd at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 01:49:06 CST 2004

Hello All,

It's impossible to talk about Hawaiian ecosystems without a bit of
background information. I do not pretend nor desire to be "objective" or
"rational" in my perceptions regarding Hawai'i. I relate to this place from
my heart.

Hawai'i is (arguably) the biological crown jewel of the Pacific, with the
highest degree of endemism in the world. 90% of our native land plants and
99% of our native land animals and insects exist nowhere else. Historically,
75% of all U.S. extinctions are native Hawaiian plants and animals. Almost
half of the species currently on the U.S. Endangered Species list are native
Hawaiian. Half of our native Hawaiian birds are extinct. Half of those left
alive are endangered.

Hawai'i is the most isolated landmass on earth. Because of that isolation it
has been estimated that one new species was introduced here every 50,000
years. Today we are introducing over 20-30 new species each year. This is
2,000,000 times the natural rate. The impact on our native ecosystems is
devastating. We humans and our minions are systematically destroying the
biodiversity of Hawai'i nei.

> I know that Hawaii has quite a problem with invasives, such that there an
> "Exotic Plant Management Team" that is dedicated to the Islands.  ((I also
> realize that there is a separate listserve for alien plant issues
> (http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/index.htm) - but, I think there is some
> overlap here that's worth examining.))

The work I've done is all volunteer so I can only comment on things I've
participated in.

My perception is that ocean conservation is a bit more organized and
"together" here than land conservation, possibly because there are fewer
"invested" parties to "muddy the waters". (No Hyatts or MacDonalds on the
reef... yet). There is a vast amount of medicinal potential in algae and
ocean critters, but they seem to generate little public interest. This is
probably a good thing... the last thing we need is people tearing up the
reef.

Land conservation in Hawai'i currently consists mostly of putting up fences
(pigs / goats / etc.) and pulling weeds, although strategies have been added
in the last few years. Art Medeiros and others have begun to systematically
reintroduce natives with encouraging results. They are also documenting
their work with transect lines, grids, controlling variables, etc.

There has been a recent increase in popularity of the use of natives for
landscape which has opened people's eyes a bit. Because of the current
interest in reestablishing native forests there are many groups involved in
research, propagation, reforestation, etc. The National Park Service,
Department of Land and Natural Resources, Nature Conservancy, Outdoor
Circle, Bishop Estates, and numerous Hawaiian cultural groups are beginning
to get involved. Many have volunteer programs, most of which involve the
above strategies.

On the reef there are two volunteer groups functioning that I know of. Both
run transect lines and gather data. One is international, Gregor Hodson's
Reef Check. The other is a state one run by Sara Peck through DLNR.

There is an accredited program run through Hilo Community College called
"Forest TEAM" that trains people for careers in Hawaiian forest "management"
and reforestation. Doubtless there are *many* other groups at work of which
I am unaware. Jill Wagner does remarkable work here on the Big Island, as do
Rene Silva, Anna Palomino and Pat Bily on Maui.

> Could you or another listserve member comment on any impacts that invasives
> eradication efforts are/have had on existing wild-growing medicinals - has
> eradication created an opportunities for cultivation?  Is there any attempt
> to include native medicinals in restoration efforts?

The use of "native" medicines is complicated. For various reasons much of
traditional Hawaiian medicine relies on alien species for its treatments.

While I was fortunate to learn the uses of native plants as medicine I do
not use or teach them (with a few notable exceptions). Aliens are more
abundant and work very well. So, I keep my focus on using them as medicine
or getting rid of them. Or both. Much of the current research validates
their clinical efficacy.

I actively research and encourage the use of non-natives in Hawai'i as
medicines. (Besides, everything is native to somewhere.) I've completed
aggregating cross-cultural information on eighty bad-boy weeds here, many of
which are quite impressive.

Only once have I been asked to use a rare plant as medicine... by a
gentleman with a very serious medical condition. I agreed to use the plant
in his treatment only if he agreed to propagate it. He did not propagate it
so I did not use it.

Perhaps if the natives become more common we can begin to use them.

I don't know if this addresses your questions, but that's my perception of
this neck of the Pacific.

Aloha,

David Leonard

David Bruce Leonard, L.Ac.