[MPWG] Re: Hawaiian perspectives

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jan 30 17:37:33 CST 2004

David,

In fact, you have hit on an important inroad - some MPWG members have
expressed to me their concerns about the growing threat of invasives in
their environs and how eradication efforts (especially when it involves
chemicals) will impact their ability to subsequently harvest or cultivate
medicinals.

I know that Hawaii has quite a problem with invasives, such that there an
"Exotic Plant Management Team" that is dedicated to the Islands.  ((I also
realize that there is a separate listserve for alien plant issues
(http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/index.htm) - but, I think there is some
overlap here that's worth examining.))

Could you or another listserve member comment on any impacts that invasives
eradication efforts are/have had on existing wild-growing medicinals - has
eradication created an opportunities for cultivation?  Is there any attempt
to include native medicinals in restoration efforts?

Thanks,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

                      David Bruce Leonard
                      <herbnerd at hawaii.rr.com>              To:      "PCA's Medicinal Plant Working Group List"
                      Sent by:                              <MPWG at lists.plantconservation.org>
                      MPWG-bounces at lists.plantconse         cc:
                      rvation.org                           Subject: [MPWG] Contributions

                      01/30/2004 05:58 PM
                      Please respond to PCA's
                      Medicinal Plant Working Group
                      List

Hello All,

Numerous people have requested that this list-serve stay on topic... a
reasonable enough request.

However, might I suggest that those who are concerned about this make an
extra effort to contribute information to the group? Otherwise, judging by
the paucity of "on-topic" information, we may be in for a large amount of
silence.

I've been working with native forest restoration in Hawai'i for many years,
but the plants and ecosystems I've dealt with here likely have little
relevence to mainland issues. I've been hesitant to interject obscure
subject matter.

David

*************************
David Bruce Leonard, L.Ac.
Medicine at your Feet
'Awapuhi Health Sanctuary

http://www.medicineatyourfeet.com
http://www.awapuhihealth.com

Do it now or kiss it good-bye:
http://www.savebiogems.org/takeaction.asp?src=RR0401

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information
that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the
individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not
reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation
Alliance.