[MPWG] Can You Help?

Robyn Klein robyn at rrreading.com
Sun Nov 16 23:32:53 CST 2003

Judy,

I suspect that Sylphion was not an abortifacient.  Let me explain.  Note
that the 1963 experiments of similar species prevented pregnancy, not
caused a pregnancy to abort.  Though these are different herbs that were
tested.  Still, I suggest this because I have heard stories by herbalists
that attempts to cause abortion by women taking so-called abortifacient
herbs are not often successful.  Someone correct me if they for sure know
different.  Most herbs that are said to be abortifacient cause nasty side
effects and potential harm to the woman, but are not very successful at
aborting a healthy pregnancy.  Many herbalists suggest that a medical
abortion is much safer.  Most herbalists don't want to talk about it since
it is so controversial or they have no experience with this practice.

My point is that Sylphion more likely prevented ovulation and therefore
prevented pregnancy in the first place.  It's important that these two
pharmacological actions (inducing sterility and causing abortion) be
clearly separated in any case because they are very different.

Some ethnobotanical writings have improperly used the word "oxytocic"
instead of the more correct "emmenagogue."  An oxytocic "stimulates uterine
contractions, accelerating childbirth, while an emmenagogue "promotes or
assists the menstrual flow."  These are also very different pharmacological
actions sometimes improperly substituted.

Dr. Riddle discusses the confusion between "abortifacient" and
"emmenagogue," explaining that during some past historical times when
abortion was illegal, women who found themselves pregnant and did not want
to be would go to their pharmacist and say they needed an herb to help get
their menstrual cycle regular again.  The pharmacist would understand the
problem and give them an "emmenagogue" which was really meant to cause
abortion.  Whether these herbs really worked as abortifacients is a
question which I'm not sure has ever really been proven.  There are many
such misunderstandings in the poisonous plant literature.

Robyn Klein