[MPWG] Let's Talk List Serve!

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Dec 2 11:58:01 CST 2003

Dear Colleagues,

The Medicinal Plant Working Group (MPWG) listserve has recently grown to
more than 270 people!  As you probably know, our members live in the U.S.
and abroad (India, New Zealand and the Philippines, to name a few), and
come from a variety of backgrounds (e.g. practitioners, foresters,
herbaria, industry, government, et al.).  The strength of our listserve is
its capacity to serve as a venue for information sharing and spontaneous
discussion.  Here are a few reminders designed to help us get the most out
of our listserve:

      Autoreply function: Many of our members have mentioned that they find
      value in simply reading the listserve traffic.  Last summer, we
      changed the listserve so that replies went to the individual who sent
      the message rather than to the group as a whole.  However, because
      this left some members out of several conversations that would have
      been quite informative, the listserve will soon be reset so that
      replies go out to the entire list again.  Please avoid sending
      personal messages intended for one recipient to the entire listserve.

      Be mindful of your message.  In an effort to foster open
      communication, our listserve is not moderated.  This means that we
      each need to be accountable for what we send over the listserve.
      Let's face it, medicinal plant use and conservation discussions
      aren't always going to be lovefests.   Each of us bring a unique and
      equally important perspective to the table and many issues that may
      seem completely at odds can find common ground after some
      constructive discussion.  Let's keep our discussions on a respectful
      level in recognition that other opinions exist.

      Remember the venue.  The written word has many advantages but has
      never quite been able to compensate for the inherent lack of
      expressiveness one might get in person.  Please remember that what
      you write may be misconstrued by others.  Finally, remember where
      your delete key is and know that there is a message archive in case
      you wish to revisit a topic later!  (archives at: <
      http://cpanel.wispme.com/pipermail/mpwg_lists.plantconservation.org/
      >)

Thank you to each and every contributor - you make the listserve an
interesting place to be!

Sincerely,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753