[MPWG] caribean lowlands

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 12:26:14 CST 2003

Hello Friends,
     I am seeking advice regarding two botanical collections I am helping to
establish in Honduras.  One will be located at a rural clinic site about 45
minutes outside of the capital city of Tegucigalpa (tropical temperate
highland), the other will be located at a botanical garden on the north coast (caribean
lowland).  The climate zones are distinct though many of the same plants
would I am sure do well at either site.  The main difference, though, is that the
caribean lowland site gets plenty of rain, while the number one challenge for
garden caretakers at the temperate site will be getting enough water to the
plants.  So, probably arid-land-loving plants would be best choices for that
particular garden.
     If you're willing, any suggestions of plants to include in our
collections would be welcome.  Both gardens are specifically medicinal plant
collections, an emphasis will be placed on local plants though we are not necessarily
closed to exotic ideas.  We are especially interested in selecting a few key
cash crops, to develop market support that would generate enough income to keep
the gardens going.  This could be an export crop of seeds, or dried herbs, or a
value-added product if we could handle producing it, ornamentals, spices, or
flowers for a local market... basically we want to pick whatever will work.
     We are also asking for direct market support, for market contacts who
would be willing to support our gardens by contracting some crop from us
specifically as a means of supporting the clinical and educational aspects of our
work.  Both gardens are managed under a cooperative alliance between non-profit
Honduran agencies and my agency, Herbalists Without Borders.
     Thank you in advance for your ideas,
     Jennifer Chesworth
FYI Here are a few descriptive paragraphs taken off the web about the
climatic conditions:
Tropical temporate highlands have an average high temperature ranging from
30° C in April, the warmest month, to 25° C in January, the coolest.  The
interior highlands have a dry season, known locally as "summer," from November to
April. Almost all the rain in this region falls during the "winter," from May to
September. Total yearly amounts depend on surrounding topography;
Tegucigalpa, in a sheltered valley, averages only 1,000 millimeters of precipitation.
The Caribbean lowlands have a tropical wet climate with consistently high
temperatures and humidity, and rainfall fairly evenly distributed throughout the
year, with daytime highs averaging between 28° C and 32° C throughout the
year.  In the Caribbean lowlands, the only relief from the year-round heat and
humidity comes during December or January when an occasional strong cold front
from the north (a norte) brings several days of strong northwest winds and
slightly cooler temperatures.  Rain falls year round in the Caribbean lowlands.
Amounts are copious along the north coast...Near San Pedro Sula, amounts are
slightly less from November to April, but each month still has considerable
precipitation