[APWG] Massive California, Texas droughts, maybe we should take advantage?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 18:30:00 CST 2012

Dear Craig and Forum:

Dremann and I are together on the ultimate objective. We differ, perhaps
dramatically (although I don't want to over-dramatize it, but will persist
in mentioning it), in that it appears that, perhaps to oversimplify a bit,
that the "Dremann approach" puts a lot of emphasis on weed control before
the introduction of indigenous species while the "Tyson approach" emphasizes
the introduction of indigenous species into weedy sites (often along with
site modification to set up favorable conditions for the development of
healthy ecosystems) with relatively less emphasis on physical or chemical
weed control. This does not mean that I do not favor some level such control
in some cases. Such decision should be based on the facts of each case.

Context is everything, of course, and each set of circumstances should drive
the design and execution of any restoration program. I might agree that
emphasis be placed on initial weed control is one case (sometimes even due
to variations in circumstances on one project), but in a different set of
circumstances recommend no initial weed control at all.

Another possible/probable difference might concern project management
weed-control activities. My projects almost always had zero maintenance. The
primary reason for that is that site disturbance incident to control
activities tend to interfere with the development of indigenous species and
even encourage additional growth of weeds. I am not as concerned about the
presence of minor fractions of non-indigenous species as Dremann, much as I
agree that such would be desirable.

Naturally, I tend to favor my own concepts, but I should confess that I once
would have taken a similar approach to Dremann's. I once emphasized lots of
initial control and continued management to control weeds. It took me many
years to change my mind. I worked for a number of years to get costs down
rather than up, so that restoration would become more widely used and
accepted, but I did not find that lowering costs meant lowering quality. On
the contrary, I found that performance and quality increased as certain
costs were reduced.

This does not mean that I think Dremann is "all wrong" and that I am "all
right." I do think both methods should be investigated by independent
parties, and that all concerned should continue to maintain open minds to
ensure that progress continues to be made in the field.

WT

Please note that rwg at lists.plantconservation.org does not accept my posts,
so if anyone wishes, they can copy that list on their responses.