[APWG] Massive California, Texas droughts, maybe we should take advantage?

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Tue Jan 17 17:55:59 CST 2012

Dear Wayne and All,

The drought in California is so severe, causing the weeds to be so
weakened that they just need a little tap, to get them to fall over dead.

Meanwhile, the local perennial native grasses have taken advantage, and
are appearing in places where they have been suppressed by the exotic
annual plant allelochemicals for decades, and the native seeds are only
now getting a chance to germinate.

My suggestions for these forums, is that what looks like really bad
weather for us, like a severe drought here in California, the Mid-west,
Florida, and Texas right now, can be the best time for us to either take
care of exotics when they are at their weakest, or get the local natives
re-established.

And in some cases, like for the California Endangered listed grassland
species, like the Kangaroo rats in Riverside County, $42 million dollars
has been expended so far, to give them a permanent home, paid for in part
by the tax payers.  We need to manage the weeds and restore their habitat
quickly, so that the species can survive, because they cannot survive in a
weed-choked habitat.

I took a look at part of the 42,000 acres of weed-choked K-rat habitat in
Riverside County last month, and do not see any serious action yet.  What
you see in the picture is wild lettuce and annual grass weeds, no natives
seen.

We need to realize, that good, solid non-riparian restoration costs lots
of money, and even if you are going to buy habitat to preserve for a
species, that at least an equal amount of money may be necessary to manage
the exotics and restore the habitat to a self-sustaining condition.

A good rule of thumb is the percentage of native plant cover you have in
your understory.  Less than 95% needs help, Less than 50% you are in
trouble, and less than 25% expect to spend at least as much as the land is
worth.

We currently have a massive drought, where in central California we are
1/3 of the way through the six month rainy season that lasts from October
to April, and so far, only have 1.6 inches of rain--probably the worst in
200 years.

If we can in California, Texas and Florida, we should get whatever funds
we can, to try and take advantage of the situation, to tip these exotics
over  and get some natives growing in their place.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333