[APWG] Exsitu and insitu test plots showing interesting results

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Jan 13 19:45:25 CST 2012

Honorable Forum:

As Dremmann and many others are aware, my methods differed from his, especially with respect to weed control. Dremmann is in favor of weed control; I rarely bothered with it except for certain perennials.

Dremmann is quite right that, this season at least, now is the time to plant growing plants (it that's necessary at all--it usually isn't), and it's now a moment too soon. I prefer to plant live plants just as soon as the rain season is firmly under way. This provides the maximum time for plant development; later planting time shortens it.

What I prefer is to get the site preparation done, including any seeding, just before the rains come or shortly thereafter, again, to maximize the time for development.

My projects depended upon a healthy ecosystem to make them resistant to invasion, and I never bothered with goals like "100 percent" weed control, but weed populations always showed a decline to the point of insignificance as the healthy ecosystem developed over the first few years (about five years maximum).

In addition to being expensive and often fruitless, I found weed control activities to be counterproductive for the most part. Certainly circumstances do alter cases, but healthy ecosystems are very effective in continuing to reduce weed populations.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but as I did a number of ecosystem restoration projects over a period of about 30 years in this fashion, I believe that my approach is not without merit. I am open to challenge from anyone, and will be happy to discuss the details.

WT

PS: I don't believe that rwg accepts my posts. If someone would like to post this there, feel free to do so.