[APWG] early-flowering stiltgrass

Diana Carter dcarter1776 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 15:58:13 CDT 2012

I am working in and watching a natural area in Reston VA.  My focus right
now is stiltgrass removal - trying to get as much out as I can before the
seeds set.  At this point I have not seen any flowers yet.  I am working
mostly in areas that are about 10 feet higher than stream level in a stream
valley.  Some areas are a bit higher.

We did have the early spring, so I feared that the stiltgrass would mature
early.  But since then we have had many days when the temperature exceeded
95 degrees F.  I am speculating that may have had a retarding effect.  So at
this time it seems to me that we are on a normal track.  I will ask others
in this area what they are seeing.  And when I hear from them, and/or start
to see the flowering myself, I will post again.

Diana
Diana F. Carter