[APWG] early-flowering stiltgrass

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Aug 16 12:46:30 CDT 2012

Hi Angie and APWGers:

I can't answer your question directly, but hope that another question
directed to the group may help to do so.

I recall several years ago that there were efforts to map the spread of
invasives - the particular project I recall was happening in the Pacific
Northwest. I believe it was similar to some of the phenology work that is
happening now for native species.

I see there are a lot of resources the appear to be at the state or
regional level when I search on "invasives mapping" and could probably
spend days looking thru it all to see if one of them tracks stiltgrass.

But, I'm wondering if someone on this list could instead point us toward a
resource that they know to be tracking stiltgrass or that at least is a
more central resource for trying to figure out who might be tracking
stiltgrass.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife
Service-International Affairs
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.

<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Follow International Affairs

Angie Shelton <anshelto at indiana.edu>
Sent by: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
08/16/2012 12:35 PM

apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[APWG] early-flowering stiltgrass

Hello all,

I have noticed that Japanese stilt grass in south central Indiana started
setting seed by the first week of August this year.  Seed set in this area
usually begins in late August to early September. This year's seed set is
almost a full month earlier than usual.  Control efforts on this annual
plant need to be done before seed set to be effective, so an earlier
flowering time reduces the time for late-season management.

The earlier flowering could be a result of a warm, early spring that
caused stiltgrass and most native spring plants to germinate 3-4 weeks
earlier than usual.  It could also be due to a much warmer than usual
summer.  These causes are not mutually exclusive.

I am curious if Japanese stiltgrass is also flowering earlier than usual
in other regions.  If so, was germination also earlier than usual?  Summer
temperatures were probably warmer than usual across the entire range in
the eastern U.S.  What are the typical germination and flowering times in
more southern regions where the growing season is longer?  Being able to
predict flowering time across a range of conditions is important to know
when the deadline is to complete management efforts for the year.

Angie Shelton
Department of Biology
IU Research & Teaching Preserve
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405
812-855-1674
anshelto at indiana.edu

Disclaimer
Any requests, advice or opinions posted to this list reflect ONLY the
opinion of the individual posting the message.