[APWG] Jewelweed

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Jul 19 18:41:01 CDT 2011

JewelweedAll:

Shaw makes some excellent points, but just one additional caution, if I may, with respect to "management." Many if not most "control" and "eradication" efforts, while perhaps viscerally satisfying ("Ding-dong, the witch is dead!"), do more damage than good. For example, I have seen "treated" areas grow more, not less weedy, following such measures. Glyphosate can be particularly damaging to emerging plants, unseen by the "certified" pest-controllers. Cryptogamic species are particularly susceptible to tiny, unseen aerosols; ironically, it is just such species which help to prevent the seed of some invasive species from germinating, while leaving them exposed to granivores and pathogens. Messing with Mother Nature is a lot more complicated than many presume.

WT

"Nine-tenths of the hell being raised in the world is well-intentioned." -Anon.