[APWG] Jewelweed

Karen Blumer growingwild at optonline.net
Wed Jul 20 12:08:26 CDT 2011

Katie,

It (orange I. capensis) certainly can take over entire areas here in
the east. It has become invasive on the hills and dales of my own yard
on Long Island, NY - not a wetland but extension of mesic Appalachian
oak-hickory woodland association. I have seen it in huge patches
interspersed with Eupatorium purpureum upland of wetland edges in
suburban lawn settings around here -- attractive but in definite
monocultures, or I guess with the Joe pyeweed, duocultures. I'll be
more on the lookout for it in its natural habitat. I don't recall it
being dominant or invasive there.

Karen

Karen Blumer
Ecosystem Based Management Projects