[APWG] Parthenium

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Apr 26 14:34:10 CDT 2011

If I remember the nasty story of Parthenium, this plant is pretty toxic to
the touch. Direct contact causes contact dermititis and I've seen some
pictures of some terribly blistered skin; long-term exposure to the pollen
can cause respiratory problems. So, PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

There has been a lot of work done on this species in India - and some
experimental eradication using fungal pathogens, for instance.  I don't
have access to this journal, but you may want to find a copy of the
following article:

J Assoc Physicians India. 1990 May;38(5):380.
Eradication of parthenium--a simple, economical method.

Here's an interesting treatment option from Pakistan (!) using an aqueous
solution of allelopathic grasses:
http://www.pakbs.org/pjbot/PDFs/38(1)/PJB38(1)139.pdf.

According to this Australian publication, herbicide treatments can be
effective, but long-term monitoring and ongoing prevention is needed:
http://www.weeds.org.au/docs/parthenium_weed_mgt_guide.pdf

Good luck!

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

"Marc Imlay" <ialm at erols.com>
Sent by: apwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
04/26/2011 03:08 PM

<mahrine.rashid at gmail.com>, <APWG at lists.plantconservation.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [APWG] Parthenium

How about the usual: spray the monocultural patches and hand pull where
mixed with natives?

 Marc Imlay, PhD
Conservation biologist, MNCPPC,
Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Invasive Plant Council, Vice president of
the Maryland Native Plant Society, Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat
Stewardship Committee for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.