[APWG] Stories needed about "Mishaps with use of weed infested sandand gravel"

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Apr 28 17:43:38 CDT 2010

This sounds like a subject of broad interest to this list. I, for one, would
like to know more about the details.

The whole issue of dispersal and dispersal agents is a long one, and isn't
necessarily limited to "mineral material mishaps" (whatever that means)
alone, but can involve aspects of movement other than such things as sand
and gravel movement, such as propagules hitching a ride on vehicles (e.g.
Brassica tournefortii and countless other species).

While it would be a "no-brainer" to "certify" incoming material loads, some
might let their imaginations run wild. One thought might be to certify donor
sites. Many sand and gravel pits are, however, first-rate "weed" sites, and
those in drainages are likely to contain propagules from the watersheds
above them.

Scale and application scenarios come to mind too, as would the functional
and economic trade-offs involved in getting to the point, which presumably
is to prevent the transmission and establishment of alien or pestiferous
organisms.

Washing down bulldozers and other off-highway vehicles before they cut
so-called "firebreaks" or venture beyond might be an option, but in some
interpretations might also be an invitation to protest. As a matter of
actual fact, this sort of thing might be a tempest in a teapot, a solution
to a major problem, or an infinite range of possibilities in between.

I hope Hutten will share the study design and results with the group.

WT