[APWG] Stories needed about "Mishaps with use of weed infested sandand gravel"

Bill Stringer bstrngr at clemson.edu
Thu Apr 29 11:27:47 CDT 2010

Wayne raises an important companion issue, the movement of propagules
on equipment.

We recently had an experience in the Francis Marion National Forest,
near Charleston.  We found a sizeable outbreak of cogongrass
(Imperata cylindrica).  This grass is an exotic invasive of
tremendous proportions in the Gulf Coast states (see
http://www.cogongrass.org/ ).
It is increasing in Georgia, and we have been on the lookout for it
in SC for several years.

The infestation we found in the Francis Marion apparently started in
a Forest Service road ditch.  For pix see
(http://everettj.people.cofc.edu/cogongrass.html) The USFS contracts
with outside folks to do road maintenance,
and we suspect it came from the outside on a road grader, as this is
the only infestation on the entire forest and for
many miles around on private land.   Our Dept of Plant Industry has
been on top of this infestation with a control program,
and we are breathing a little easier.

Bill Stringer

William C. Stringer
President-emeritus
South Carolina Native Plant Society
<http://www.scnps.org/>www.scnps.org

PO Box 491
Norris, SC 29667

Clemson University
Entomology, Soils and Plant Science
864 656 3527
bstrngr at clemson.edu

"Go my Sons, burn your books.  Buy yourself stout shoes.  Get away to
the mountains, the valleys, the shores of the seas, the deserts, and
the deepest recesses of the earth.  In this way and no other will you
find true knowledge of things and their properties."

Peter Severinus, 16th. century Dane educator