[APWG] Herbicide Application Techniques Prohibit Re: NEWS: Studyfinds one-time herbicide use decreased native plants, may have increased invasive plants

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 25 14:16:24 CDT 2009

I hope Tasker will not tax us with generalities, thus tasking us with trying to figure out what he specifically  means.

I am dubious about acronyms, and the catchy labels from which they spring, as they tend to become buzzwords that either lose their original meaning or debase the terms of which they are composed. "Process flow charts" and other impressive devices, when broken down into what they really say, don't amount to much. The "integrated" aspects of IVM say little or nothing about ecosystem function and lack specificity with respect to post-treatment performance.

This is not to say that ecosystems should not be "managed," but herbicides of any kind tend to be used under the rather simplistic logic, "Weeds bad, kill weeds, keep killing weeds." That's simply not demonstrably good enough; virtually all of the cases I have seen rely upon a time-limited set of general observations (mostly impressive photos) or "surveys" that do not reveal the long-term implications of ecosystem function. For example, if one sprays herbicides on weeds, impressive results will follow and be photographed. Such "data" don't prove anything with respect to ecosystem function and "health." "Vegetation management" has too long been a euphemism for killing plants indiscriminately. I would like to see the details of an IVM program that truly integrates all relevant science.

To truly advance this important discussion, it will be necessary to establish a tradition of being directly responsive to points made in a sequence that moves quickly from generalization to theoretical foundations to evidence, all with lines of relevance clearly evident and assessment, action, and consequences feedback loops that fully describe the phenomena, not sell them short. Specific examples which have been sufficiently researched by independent entities and replicated by other disinterested (out of the money loop) parties in accordance with the basic principles of good science. Too much is at stake for the foxes to be in charge of the henhouses--which should be transparent and open to all for inspection.

WT

PS: I will soon be off the internet for at least a month.