[APWG] Ecosystem restoration standards

Garry Rogers grogers at aguafriaopenspace.org
Tue Sep 8 12:20:47 CDT 2009

Greetings:

Interesting topic that involves one of my current projects.  My contribution
is a completely new statement that expands Wayne's statement by attempting
to incorporate the following three ideas:

1)  The goal could be broadened to include ecosystem characteristics in
addition to diversity.  Without explicitly raising the issues of resilience,
dynamics, and stability this could be simple  biomass.

2)  Using the ecosystem that existed prior to disturbance as the goal
doesn't acknowledge the fact that many ecosystems are now in degraded
states.  Better to use any available historical information to estimate the
potential.  Potential biomass estimates can be based on productivity
potential.  Of course, degradation might have taken a site to a new level of
potential.  Some changes such as excessive soil loss and groundwater
decline, create new potential states.

3)  Invasion resistance is presumed to be associated with natural
ecosystems.  In some instances it appears that past land use permitted or
even facilitated entry of invasive species.  Perhaps the goal of restoration
should extend beyond ecosystem recovery to incorporate the need for improved
management.  The management strategies and tactics by which resistance is
supported could be referred to as stewardship.

So here goes:

*Ecosystem restoration aims to establish a persistent trend toward
potential-natural species diversity and accumulated biomass within the
constraints of current and future environmental conditions, and supported by
a permanent program of effective stewardship.
*
Larry Morse's suggestion to include "locally native" species in the
statement might be worked in.

The SER Primer opens with:  "Ecological restoration is an intentional
activity that initiates or accelerates the recovery of an ecosystem with
respect to its health, integrity and sustainability."    Definitions of
"health, integrity and sustainability" are difficult.  Using Wayne's
original measure, diversity (which has been variously defined) makes the
goal a little more specific and achievable.

I am very interested in the results of this exchange and hope someone will
comment on and suggest changes to my statement.  For instance, is it
necessary to add "locally native" as suggested by Larry Morse?

Thank you.

Garry

--
Garry F. Rogers