[APWG] Ecosystem restoration standards

Larry Morse larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 6 21:56:25 CDT 2009

Wayne and others:

Although I've only been incidentally involved in restoration projects, I've been following much of the recent APWG discussion on goals, methods, and standards.

While I'm not commenting here on the apparently intended content of your proposed standard (1Sep09 draft excerpted below), I do suggest a clarification to include "locally native" in the part about increasing species diversity --  perhaps as "... establish a trend toward increased diversity of locally native species ... "

Similarly, the part on resistance to invasion might refer to non-natives, as contrasted to "invasive" native species involved in succession or other ecological processes.  Possible wording might be " ... be resistant to invasion by non-native species without ... "

Larry Morse