[APWG] NRCS and Cheshire County Conservation District (NH) is selling Buddleia Butterfly Bush. Would you consider the plant invasive in NH?

gg lilly pembrokes at ne.rr.com
Mon Feb 16 12:55:34 CST 2009

          Would you consider Butterfly Bush invasive (or, likely to be
invasive) in New Hampshire?

          The United States Department of Agriculture - New Hampshire NRCS &
the Cheshire County Conservation District - just released the information
below. I'm not a botanist nor am I working in the field. Yet, from the
reading that I have done about Butterfly Bush, I think that the wide-scale
planting of Butterfly Bush in one particular county of New Hampshire would
be a mistake.

          What is also difficult to understand is why the National Resources
Conservation Service, with a mandate to conserve each state's soil, water,
and other natural resources, would sell a non-native plant known to invasive
in several states that are in different hardiness zones.

          Thank you for your help.

2009 Conservation Plant Sale

Cheshire County Conservation District

Plant Descriptions & Other Offerings

2009 Conservation Plant Sale

Cheshire County Conservation District

Plant Descriptions & Other Offerings

Buddleia Butterfly Bush

Colorful attractive arching shrub with 4-6" panicles of fragrant flowers in
midsummer that are guaranteed to attract zillions of butterflies,

bees and hummingbirds. In New England treat it as an herbaceous perennial.
Cut it to the ground in early spring-or just let

it die back-and it will bloom again on new wood come summer. Reblooms
throughout the summer if spent flowers are cut. Recommended

for shrub or perennial borders. Grey-green foliage. Easy to transplant. Very
adaptable but begs for full sun. The renowned

plantsman Michael Dirr is a big fan of Buddleia. Usually considered to be a
Zone 5 plant though it may do well in Zone 4.

(well-rooted crowns)

B. davidii 'Bicolor' 6-8' x same. Selection of Honeycomb. Michael Dirr
intro. Each two-toned panicle includes both butterscotch

yellow and lavender flowers. Compact habit. ME Grown.

4990 Bicolor Butterfly Bush, $14.00

B. d. 'Potter's Purple'

 <http://www.nh.nrcs.usda.gov/>