[APWG] Plants Alien Weed definition etc. Re: Why not succeed the first time, with Performance Standards?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Wed Aug 26 18:45:36 CDT 2009

Krohn gets to the heart of the matter.

"Weed" is a cultural term; "colonizing species" is an ecological term, normally used in the context of what some ecologists call "secondary succession."

It is the business of all forms of life to colonize, to "go forth and multiply" wherever they can.

In the cultural sense, any plant that invades our invasion (wheat fields) is considered a "weed," or "brush."

In an ecological sense, annual (and some perennial) weeds function like T-cells, making scabs on the wounds of the earth's soil-skin. All restoration ecologists can do is to 1) let the scab do its work unaided; 2) remove damaged tissue and control infection; 3) add ointments and elixirs, many of which retard healing more than they help; 4) put a Band-Aid (R) on; 5) add different sorts of "T-cells;" 6) patch in some tiny skin grafts or hair plugs; 7) perform plastic surgery; 8) make the cadaver look pretty with make-up.

Please forgive my using analogy rather than the most convoluted "scientific" jargon possible. First, I don't know it, second I don't want to know it, and third, I want to say it in a way that most people can "get." However, I will try to respond in greater detail to anyone that doesn't, including scientists. I'm always willing to learn from others and to have my mistakes pointed out, and I am eager to hear from scientists and others on the specific nature of my errors. I prefer to deal with specifics, hence the examples from the Far West.

In my mind, at least, this discussion is not, and should not be confined in any way, much less to the Great Basin and CA. That's because it should be about principles, not methods or techniques. Principles can be applied anywhere they are relevant; methods and techniques are linear expediencies that nearly always fit the situation badly, sometimes fatally. Some methods and techniques used in CA might work in NE or vice-versa, but automatic or slavish adherence to them, even in the location of origin, is courting trouble.

When it comes to any standard, requirement, rule, or "BMP," I think it's a fair question to question it and the reasoning behind it. Also, is it relevant to reality? What evidence supports the conclusion? What does it actually MEAN--is it arbitrary, imaginary, or based on a disciplined examination of the relevant elements of the entirety of the context? Bureaucracies have a tendency to make excuses for clinging to rules in the absence of clear evidence that there are no better rules possible. I do think performance standards, including holding bonds for a reasonable period of time or hitting a reasonable target, are essential, but the standards should be set for each project, and sometimes need to be different for different parts of projects (for example, things like slope angle, aspect, soil type, AWC, and a lot of variables out of the contractor's control can affect performance). Performance standards have to be in sync with what is feasible, particularly when the options are constrained by budget, agency intransigence, etc. The contractor should be able to provide an estimated range of what is feasilble, but low bidders must be constrained from whining their way out and getting the money that should have gone to another bidder. Although optimal allocation of scarce resources is a necessary goal of all public agencies, we all know that there needs to be some latitude on either side of perfection.

100 percent native "purity" may be a noble goal, and it may be necessary in some contexts, but I don't know that the evidence supports that it is the only way in all cases. I can understand the need to hold a performance bond until xx% of the "pre-construction/native, perennial vegetation is restored," but I would rather see a requirement, based upon both sound theory and comparable empirical evidence (although empirical evidence that is not explained by sound theory might be, and often is, misleading, though it can lead to refinement of theory). Empirical evidence, when repeated and repeated can lead to useful generalizations about whether this or that practice gets results or fails to get results, but it is nearly always more difficult and expensive than when data and theory are reconciled.

"Local" is a difficult term. With some species, like tight endemics, "local ecotypes" are essential. With others there may be a range in terms of altitude, latitude, soil features, pH, and many other factors that can change the area that can be considered "local." One can run into the same kind of trouble with ecotypes, sometimes even worse trouble, but this generalization is likely to be reliable enough, at least on a trial basis. The proof of the pudding . . .

I understand the situation with bromes, but there may be LOTS of other approaches that do not exceed budgetary limits that get the job done, over a longer period of time. It may take some shifting of paradigms as well.

Standard engineering practices/specs can cause a lot of trouble when they don't have to. It doesn't take much to change an impossible situation into a "golden" solution; it just has to be "sold" to the engineers in the right way. As in buildings, foundations must fit the building requirements--no engineer would use the same foundation on every building. No restoration ecologist can work responsibility without employing every possible (and practical) opportunity to support the intended ecosystem. Organisms are a reflection of site conditions, and that's a large part of why construction projects will only support weeds for many years. It's a pity that priceless ecotype seeds have to be wasted where they haven't a prayer of making a stand against a degraded site.

WT