[APWG] Ecosystem restoration NE Roadside planting Re: Why not succeed the first time, with Performance Standards?

Krohn, Alison Alison.Krohn at nebraska.gov
Fri Aug 28 15:18:14 CDT 2009

A Univ of Nebr study is underway now to look at what remains of seed planted 10 years or more.  We should have results within a year and I don't want to "guess" until we get those results.

Steep requires more definition.  We generally grade foreslopes (below the road) 1:6, and backslopes (to edge of ROW) 1:3 when cutting/removing soil.  When filling, foreslopes may be graded 1:3.  The steepness is not as serious a problem as the slope length.  When 1:3 slopes run longer than 50' we will generally have rill erosion.  The maximum slope allowed in the sandhills is 1:4 and there are many backslopes that have 50% coverage compared to adjacent land.  The only slides we encounter occur in the northern part of the state where there is some shale.  The earth shoulder adjacent to the road is least likely to grow good vegetation.  So many vehicles drive off the road, farm equipment is wider than our typical 12' lane, salt etc.

The legislature passed a law a few years back to allow haying of the ROW by permit.  Permits for the same area cannot be issued more than every other year.  NDOR mows the first 30' of ROW 2-3 times per year for safety.  First mowing around Memorial Day, second before or during fall for snow storage. The clippings are not collected and the height varies from scalped to 5".  Around Omaha they mow everything out at least 3 times during the growing season.

In short, sometimes we're dealing with subsoil 30' below the original grade when cutting and have fills of 20' (vertical) in others.  We try to stockpile topsoil but there is not always space available for stockpiling.  Safety standards are pushing the roads wider and straighter so cuts and fills keep growing.  These standards have a substantial impact on the landscape that is left to reseed.

I'll be out of the office next week but will return to the thread afterwards.
Here's a link to our "Landscape Plan" that will receive an award at ICOET (?) in Duluth.  It's our start on more sustainable management:
http://www.dor.state.ne.us/environment/roadside-plan.html

Thanks for your interest.