[APWG] Why not succeed the first time, with Performance Standards?

Fuhrmann, Paul PFuhrmann at ene.com
Tue Aug 25 17:50:53 CDT 2009

Alison's comments re:  native purity, ecotypes in the context of real
time infrastructure projects and associated landscape disturbance is
where the rubber meets the road (no pun intended).

Earlier exchanges noted that list members of all levels of experience
(professional and regional) are attentive to this issue whether they
weigh in or not.  I look forward to all exchanges to learn, fine tune
restoration thinking, share with colleagues or all of the above.  This
is invaluable, real time dialogue for many whether it's universally
pertinent or not.

Restoration design within complex linear projects involves numerous
temporal and contractual constraints.  Performance monitoring and
lessons learned from restoration design for infrastructure and resource
mitigation projects has pushed project sponsors towards new design and
techniques.  The common objectives for regulators, engineers and
restoration biologists is immediate, functional stability combined with
defined biological uplift.  That can't happen if restoration biologists
work in a vacuum or are excluded from conceptual planning to final
design process.

Each project site offers different (native species) restoration
opportunities and challenges.  Water resource, stream/river,
transportation, utility corridor project scale restoration have much in
common.  Adding climate driven weather events, flood flows, etc.
emphasizes need for immediate structural/physical stabilization of
disturbed landscape, planting design and plan to provide emergency soil
stabilization, plant/seed dominant native species with appropriate
erosion control assemblage for "sustainable" cover type, monitor and
apply "adaptive management" until establishment, design objectives and
performance goals are achieved.

Not sure my comments are in synch with other posts but this is what came
out after thinking about previous exchanges.  Recent TNC presentation at
the ODUM Invasive Species Conference has reinforced approach to invasive
plant control/management.  The concept of mutualism or restoration
design that allows cohabitation but not dominance by invasive
terrestrial species could be a realistic approach to some not all site
design.  This is most applicable to riparian habitat restoration where
invasive density, recruitment and seedbank is overwhelming and will be
for our lifetime.

Paul Fuhrmann
ecology and environment, inc.
368 Pleasantview Drive