[APWG] Why not succeed the first time, with Performance Standards?

Addsum-Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Tue Aug 25 16:47:20 CDT 2009

Alison - I think you point out practical problems that exist that need to be taken into
account into various strategies and techniques available.

I will not try to define a weed, but I think it is clear that any plant that is not historically
native (natural) to a given area and that has a known or any likely tendency to spread
into adjoining open spaces should not  be planted in any roadside projects, ever (nor
large part of - suppose you have hundreds of miles of roads that lead to oil and gas
pads in an otherwise remote area and which intersect rare plant habitat  - you
wouldn't want to introduce something new into that area for many reasons that are
hopefully apparent).

Oftentimes too, roadsides are one of the few refuges for native plants in many areas.
So, in my opinion, roadsides should most definitely be viewed as more of a
restoration than not, and whenever possible that approach should be taken.   All
available open lands in fact should use natural/native components to the extent
possible.  Always.

So it is indeed sad that you reseed an area adjoining a brome pasture with brome.
That would seem to add fuel to the fire.   If the brome is going to invade anyway, why
not still seed with something else?  Part of the problem is that these are really multi-
year projects and not single one-shot problems yet agencies are not taking that into
account (no doubt due to lack of funding, understanding, etc.).   Agencies have to
ultimately change their approach somehow.   Part of the problem is that whoever is
causing the disturbance in the first place is not paying their full share in connection
with the damage that they are causing.  That is where the money should at least in
part be coming from.

So to answer one question, I would say absolutely not.  This discussion is hardly
limited to any geographic area whatsoever.  It applies to anywhere in the world.

As to laws that require otherwise, we are all forced to comply with rules and
regulations that we do not necessarily agree with or that were not implemented
based on good science (or should be changed based on newer knowledge).    So we
comply, but we work and strive for change based on the best available science and
based on an ecosystem approach as our model.    The lack of available seed is truly
a problem as you point out, but one that with more enlightened laws and stewardship
would lead to the growing of ecotypes that could hypothetically support the demand if
techniques were developed, or at least that would be the ideal.

Yes there is a lot of frustration that I think we all share.   But we can do better.  And
so we have to start somewhere.   So, why not with roadsides?   We've covered the
planet with more roads than anything else and we don't appear to be stopping.

Tony Frates