[APWG] Why not succeed the first time, with Performance Standards?

Krohn, Alison Alison.Krohn at nebraska.gov
Tue Aug 25 10:54:01 CDT 2009

How does this group define a weed?  Are naturalized plants like lambs quarters viewed the same as native ragweed?  I'm very confused by the insistence on 100% native purity. I don't think it's possible in the Midwest. I work for a state transportation agency and we seed 98% native species, not local ecotype.  But when our seeding adjoins a brome pasture, brome will invade and we cannot spend public resources to prevent that.  Is this discussion confined to the great basin and California?

Is everyone aware of the clean water act and the requirements of the NPDES construction permit?  Anywhere more than 1 acre is disturbed (unless you're a farmer) a construction stormwater permit is required and remains open until 70% of the pre-construction/native, perennial vegetation is restored.  Most of the roadsides we are regrading and seeding were brome.  Native prairie vegetation, especially mixed grass areas will provide less vegetative cover than the brome and therefore will potentially discharge more sediment into our waterways (if you believe the RUSLE2 model).  I'm not advocating brome, just want to point out the mixed messages out there and conflicting expectations.  We must stabilize erodible soils within 14 days under the clean water act to protect our waterways.  This state uses a mix of cool and warm season grasses to meet this requirement along with some forbs. It is not a restoration mix.

I also grow local ecotype seed and obviously support its  use but there is not enough of this seed in our area to restore roadsides and there doesn't appear to be the public support for this endeavor in terms of dollars from FHWA, the state government or wealthy donors. I applaud all of the research that Craig and others are doing but am frustrated by the assumption that roadsides are restorations.  We just don't have the resources to pull it off.