[APWG] Ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication Re:Performance standards to get weed-free and 100% native

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Aug 14 17:28:51 CDT 2009

Karen, hang in there and keep your finger in the dike. You have a good idea, so it is "doomed" to "failure." That's what it has been like to be on the cutting edge of anything, and while it is frustrating, the only way to handle it is to have patience and to never give up. Having tried and failed for years in a larger context to foster the understanding of ecosystems (insofar as I may "understand" them), I suspect that your "tiny municipality" may be the kind of place where major advances are feasible. The good intentions are not only pavement to Hell, they are also the springboard to quantum leaps. It's a mixed bag, and one must be satisfied with incremental success. The best thing about "tiny" municipalities is that everybody knows everybody--that should keep the rage factor down and the cooperative factor up. (No, I don't expect Pollyanna to be spreading daisies before anyone's feet.) On the larger scale, one must tread with caution, but paying off and trading off may turn out to be better than hoping for the pristine and having to settle for even less. This is a hard thing to predict, and requires the "gathering" of intelligence data, which will require the aid of those who are no bored to tears by gathering it while others are thus freed to work on the technical details. Beware of borderline personalities and fifth-columnists.

Grace, sorry that y'all got flim-flammed this time, but don't let them take any more soil from anywhere anymore. In fact, if you can get some of it back before it dies and replace it (incorporate it into the remaining sterile subsoil) in even a thin layer, that can help. Wanting that, you can start the arduous process of rebuilding new topsoil. It may take a long time, starting with strange methods and indigenous (rarely, but sometimes it may be necessary to use exotic plants that are STERILE so they can't reproduce--either sexually or asexually) plants that can tolerate existing conditions and act as transitional habitat. It's a big job, but it can be done with surprisingly little money and effort.

WT