[APWG] Ecosystem restoration and alien species eradication Re:Performance standards to get weed-free and 100% native

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Aug 14 17:01:12 CDT 2009

APWG Forum and Patricia Ruta:

I know that this might sound counter-intuitive, but continued disturbance of restoration sites, as in hand-pulling and other operations that disturb the soil, can have both positive and negative effects. There are many factors involved, and "context is everything," so each case has variations that prevent any one-solution-fits-all approach--that is, while sound PRINCIPLES are applicable to all cases, the ways those principles can be interpreted or misinterpreted and applied or misapplied are unlimited.

This is not to say that hand-pulling or other means of suppressing or killing alien are in themselves "bad" or "good" practices, it is only to share the observation that the consequences of  "management" actions are not necessarily limited to the most readily observed ones. For example, pulling weeds can affect the development of indigenous organisms in negative and positive ways, such as killing emerging seedlings, disrupting the development of a mycorrhizal net, increase nutrient availability. This latter factor is sometimes interpreted as a positive, but it can be a negative factor with respect to the long-term development of a healthy ecosystem. (Dynamically) stable ecosystems are characterized by low available nutrient values, as the standing biomass sequesters available nutrients to a high degree, leaving the soil "deficient" in available nutrients. This low nutrient availability discourages weed growth, whereas high nutrient availability favors weed growth. Mycorrhizal fungi, free-living bacteria, and other organisms that characterize a stable ecosystem, are pathways and mechanisms that tend to render unavailable nutrients available to the native vegetation. This may be what makes some invasives able to invade "healthy" ecosystems--as when the invasive species is able to benefit from those soil organisms (e.g., obligately mycorrhizal) too, sometimes being able to both secure nutrients via such pathways and access available (such as those freed by uprooting or cultivating processes). In addition to a world of complex interactions at many levels that are within our knowledge-base, there are no doubt as many factors about which science remains ignorant--but it is that ignorance which drives science, right?

At a practical level, there is the matter of "paradigm." Misconceptions can sometimes be generated by using gardening or farming paradigms (more available nutrients are good, irrigation is good, "management" is good, etc., when they are not applicable to ecosystems. It is sometimes very difficult for those of us (including myself) who were raised on those paradigms to "give them up." It took me at least fifteen years to figure out how different ecosystems and gardens are--a lot of "unlearning" had to be done. And there is the matter of rate of development, carrying capacity, etc., and how we perceive natural systems that don't play by out rules. We tend to be impatient, and we tend to want what we want, not necessarily what a given physical/biological context is capable of doing.

WT

PS: A good book that goes into other key factors that affect the work of ecosystem restoration and alien species management is G. L. Stebbins' "The Genetics of Colonizing Species." It is HEAVY but stimulating stuff for those seriously interested in getting into the subject in depth. An "oldie but goodie," as is a lot of Stebbins' other work. Many other scientists in many fields have done volumes of research that can help us all make incremental improvements in how we see and do our work.