[APWG] NEWS: A New Leaf: Making Paper From Weeds

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 22:32:01 CDT 2008

Philip, I want to make sure I understand you correctly.  Your statement,

"One problem with this approach is that once you create an industry that
depends on a reliable supply of something like this, there are usually huge
pressures to keep it 'sustainable'--which defeats the purpose."

What purpose would sustainability be defeating?

In the mesquite email, you also objected that , "Also, it's likely not
economically efficient to gather it piecemeal (vs. plantation-based on a
flat field so automated/mechanical harvest is feasible)."

This sounds like you support unsustainable monocultures on the virtue of
their economic efficiencies. (?)

 This is the rationale being used for genetically modifying forest trees
(reduced lignin, faster growth, herbicide resistance, etc) to be planted in
monoculture plantations.    The genetic modifications genetically alter the
forest trees to better meet the economic and profit imperatives of the paper
and pulp industry.  These genetically modified trees will pose a much
greater risk to native ecosystems than Arundo, and sustainable cultivation
of arundo would undercut the biotech argument that designing GM trees is
somehow necessary  or good for the environment.

With regard to genetically modified plants, Hawaii has more field test
releases (a whopping 2,265) of genetically modified plants than any other
state.  In 2004, testing revealed a full 50% of the papaya trees on the Big
Island  had GMO contamination.
http://www.grain.org/research/contamination.cfm?id=165

Supporting alternative resources for paper making may well save our
forests.  Otherwise we may find our forest trees contaminated with genes for
reduced lignin (rendering trees structurally weak and less resistant to
disease),  genes to produce Bt toxin in every part of the plant (including
pollen, killing pollinators,  including their roots, destroying beneficial
soil microbes,) the forest understory wiped out from aerial spraying of
roundup (that's why they're engineered to be roundup resistant), the soil
dried up (because they're engineered for faster growth), and finally if the
sterility genes escape, massive reproductive problems in contaminated native
trees, greatly increasing their chances of extinction.

I'm far less afraid of arundo.

best regards,
Gena