[APWG] NEWS: A New Leaf: Making Paper From Weeds

Philip Thomas (www.HEAR.org) pt at hear.org
Tue Oct 7 19:51:18 CDT 2008

Yes, I DID read the article, but still I contend (see my recent post on
a similar topic):

"One problem with this approach is that once you create an industry that
depends on a reliable supply of something like this, there are usually
huge pressures to keep it 'sustainable'--which defeats the purpose."

I have some trepidation about "The Nile Group" in particular, because I
have been personally contacted by them when they were interested in
starting arundo plantations in Hawaii (as they still may be; I don't
know).  Is this environmentally responsible?  (I'll let you answer that
for yourself.)

...and one final note:  "The current commercial use of arundo has been
in the production of reeds for wind instruments. It is a small, limited
market but shows that arundo can be cultivated without posing problems
as an invasive plant."  Really?  I'm somehow unable to follow this
"logic"...

Aloha,
pt

--