[APWG] Microstegium control in West Virginia.

A & T Schrum agschrum at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 15 12:28:20 CDT 2006

I have found that using a crabgrass pre-emergent in mid February and
again in early June (for my zone 7b/8a Georgia location) prevents 95+%
germination for that year. Unfortunately with an established seed bank,
the process will have to be repeated probably forever. Pre-emergents
don't harm native perennials, but do block their germination from seed.
I have found it easier to collect the seed of desirable plants and
germinate them in a seedling bed for transplantation back later.

I have read that Chasmanthium latifolium was being used (within its
native range) to out-compete Microstegium with promising results.

--TS.