[APWG] Microstegium control in West Virginia.

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Tue Aug 15 10:37:33 CDT 2006

"Herbicides that contain glyphosate, the active ingredient found in Round Up
have been proven to be extremely effective against Japanese stiltgrass. One
major disadvantage to using glyphosate based herbicides is that those types
of chemicals are non specific, meaning that they pretty much kill every
plant they touch."

Excellent report. I have a comment on the paragraph above. We have found it
extremely easy to hand pull Japanese Stiltgrass where it is mixed with
native species (about 5% of the population). The individual stiltgrass
plants are large and can be pulled faster than they can be sprayed, weed
wacked, or mowed. In contrast, we spray where the more established
populations typically consist of many small stiltgrass plants per square
foot. We easily avoid the very few natives (about one per 10 square feet) by
spraying very carefully. Ten days later the natives are seen to suffer no
damage! Cheers

Marc Imlay, PhD
Conservation biologist, Anacostia Watershed Society
(301-699-6204, 301-283-0808 301-442-5657 cell)
Board member of the Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council,
Hui o Laka at Kokee State Park, Hawaii
Vice president of the Maryland Native Plant Society,
Chair of the Biodiversity and Habitat Stewardship Committee
for the Maryland Chapter of the Sierra Club.

  _____