[APWG] Microstegium control in West Virginia.

Ellen Jacquart ejacquart at TNC.ORG
Wed Aug 16 14:37:27 CDT 2006

I had to respond with one more thought on stilt grass control - we have
lots, and the best control method we've found is grass-specific herbicides.
Because it is an annual grass it is much more vulnerable to these herbicides
than our mostly perennial native grasses.  We have found zero non-target
damage to surrounding plants using a dilute grass-specific herbicide and
quick recolonization by natives.  The attached pictures show the typical
thigh-high stilt grass in the before shot, and one year later after one
treatment with 1% Envoy + 0.25% NuFilm IR surfactant.  Over 95% kill, and
that's all native vegetation that has moved back in.  We've found similar
results with Fusilade and Poast, other grass-specific herbicides.  Seed bank
generally doesn't seem to be much of an issue for us, but our populations
may be younger than other states (we're at the north edge of its expansion).
It seems much easier to get rid of than garlic mustard or other invasive
annual/biennials we've dealt with.  The big problem is that uncontrolled
populations spread faster than anything I've seen so it's hard to stay on
top of it.

Ellen M. Jacquart
Director of Stewardship
Indiana Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
1505 N. Delaware, Suite 200
Indianapolis, IN  46202
317-951-8818
fax - 317-917-2478