[APWG] Re: [ma-eppc] RE: Killer plant- spotted knapweed poisons rivals- article NYT...

SteveYoung at aol.com SteveYoung at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 00:21:18 CDT 2003

See the (Cornell) web page at:

http://www.invasiveplants.net/impsal.htm

which summarizes some interactions Maerz and Blossey are studying between
invasive plants and earthworms and their impacts on native salamanders. The
references at the bottom the page should provide more info on earthworm/invasive
plant relationships. One excerpt from the web page:

"There is a strong connection between earthworms, their impacts, and the
invasions of the nonnative plants.  For all three plant species, we are finding
earthworm abundance is significantly greater and leaf litter decomposition is
significantly higher in the plant-invaded area than in the adjacent non-invaded
area.  Other investigators have also noted the connection between the presence
of nonnative plants and increased earthworm abundance or leaf litter loss
(Kourtev et al. 1999, Meekins and McCarthy 2001).  Earthworms might be
facilitating the invasions of nonnative plants into forests by increasing nutrient
availability and reducing native plant abundance (Hendrix and Bohlen 2002).
Kourtev et al. (1999) hypothesize that there is a positive feedback between
nonnative earthworms and nonnative plants, where earthworms initially facilitate plant
invasions, and then nonnative plants have a positive effect on earthworm
abundance through enrichment of leaf litter quality."

Interesting stuff. Cheers,

       Steve