[SOS-PCA] Job Oppty: Field Research Tech (NV)
Prescott, Leah J
lprescott at blm.gov
Wed Feb 5 11:27:39 CST 2020
Field Research Tech Spring 2020
Dr. Newingham’s Aridland Ecology Lab at the USDA Agricultural Research Service is seeking a field research technician. The technician will primarily assist in field data collection and management related to restoration treatments in the Mojave Desert, but opportunities may exist to assist with other projects related to fire and restoration in the Great Basin. This is a great opportunity to learn about natural resource issues and land management in collaboration with universities, state, and federal agencies.
* February to mid-May: Available for field work outside of Las Vegas Friday through Tuesday.
* Possible extension mid-May to August: Assist with field and lab work outside of Las Vegas and/or Reno, NV.
Job duties include:
· Collecting plant and soil data in the field.
· Data entry and management.
· Willingness to travel to remote field sites and camp in primitive settings
· Ability to work in varied field conditions that may involve: 1) off-road hiking up and down hills, 2) carrying loads up to 30 lbs, and 3) withstanding periods of inclement weather during all seasons.
· Working with graduate students and other technicians in the lab.
· Interacting with scientists and land managers from state and federal agencies, as well as universities.
* Education: Pursuing or attained a BS degree in biology, ecology, natural resources, geology, hydrology, or closely related field.
* Experience with dichotomous keys and plant identification, knowledge of Mojave Desert plants preferred.
* Handheld GPS experience; familiarity with ArcPad preferred.
* Ability to perform physical labor and work outside for long periods in rough desert terrain.
* Basic construction skills are preferred.
* Willingness to spend multiple days camping and working in the field.
* Ability to work well with others in group settings.
* Good organization and communication skills.
Please send a resume, unofficial transcript, a letter detailing your skills, experience, and/or interest, as well as contact information for three references to Beth Newingham at beth.newingham at ars.usda.gov<mailto:beth.newingham at ars.usda.gov>. $12-18/hr DOE. The position may be based out of Las Vegas or Reno, NV. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Seeds of Success
National Collection Curator (Contractor)
Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>
National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance<http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SOS