[SOS-PCA] Advice on storage of Sphaeralcea coccinea

Tyree, Gayle gtyree at blm.gov
Tue Aug 23 09:37:55 CDT 2016

Hello all,

One of our collection species this year was Sphaeralcea coccinea. This
species is in high demand by the reclamation staff at our field office, so
we ended up collecting seed additional to the 20,000 for our official
collection. The seed has been in dry storage at our office for a month
while we wait for funding to send it to the facility at Bend. However, I
want to make sure that we are storing the seed properly, so that we do not
compromise its viability.

The seed was collected in mid-July of this year and has since been stored
in paper bags at room temperature (~70 degrees Fahrenheit). To anyone's
knowledge, does this species require any kind of stratification, cold
storage, or scarification to maximize germination success?

Thank you!

Gayle Tyree
Rawlins BLM SOS Intern