[SOS-PCA] April Collector Call Notes

Hill, Sarah E sehill at blm.gov
Mon Apr 10 12:25:49 CDT 2023

Below are the notes from the April SOS Collectors Call. The next call will be May 2nd, we look forward to seeing you there!

General Announcements From National Coordinating Office

  *   New virtual training dates - April 26/27 and May 17/18 email Sarah Hill at sehill at blm.gov to be added to the register. If you have training needs please let me know ASAP

     *   All trainings are invite only – they are really meant for active collectors and mentors, so please do not share the invitation with anyone outside of your collecting team. If you have a partner organization you believe would benefit, contact Sarah to discuss their attendance.

  *   This is now an interagency SOS meeting – after the general announcements folks will be assigned breakout rooms with their specific agency, which is where we will discuss the status of each team/do our round Robin

  *   Protocol updates and reminders:

     *   Seed collection size

        *   3,000 PLS including recollections MINIMUM (always do your seed calculations)

        *   At least 10,000 PLS recommended

        *   10,000+ PLS is fine if you are following the 20% rule, collect what is needed to meet project needs.

     *   New for 2023 - Submit Permits to Agency Coordinator

        *   Permits/permissions should be submitted to Agency Coordinator with all end of season data, AND have a copy retained at the field office.

GIS Announcements - Kristy

  *   Please remove your 3-2022 surveys from your device and download the 5-2023 surveys if you were a part of the digital data collection last year

  *   GPLAT questions – Having an issue with digital data collection? Here is who to ask (in order)

     *   Help documents

     *   Team Lead

     *   Supervisor

     *   SOS Agency Coordinator (BLM, Sarah Hill; FWS, Kelly Thomas; NPS, Katie Vinzant)

     *   PCRP GIS Analyst (Kristy Snyder)

  *   If you have used GPLAT in the past, please email me the usernames of those you would like added to the 2023 GPLAT groups and the groups they should be added to.

  *   If you do not have GPLAT accounts yet and are planning on using the digital data collection, please email myself and Sarah for instructions

  *   Let me know of any glitches or suggested improvements to the digital data collection, we are always open to constructive feedback

Announcements from:

  *   Sarah Garvin/Bend

     *   Done this week, TZ going out and then will take a bit to get the information back from OSU

     *   Can send in seeds for 2023

        *   They will hold onto them until they can get to them for cleaning, probably around June

  *   Erika / Smithsonian

     *   Follow shipping instructions!

  *   Bailey / GRIN Global

     *   Received Alaska Collections

BLM Specific Notes

  *   Target Species Lists: Each team should develop a target species list in coordination with their state and/or ecoregional botanists. These lists are due to the national office by April 30th. A template can be found by going to blm.gov/sos and clicking on "Target Species List Template" on the right side of the page under DOWNLOAD THE SOS FORMS.

FWS Specific Notes

  *   Brief introductions: Phoebe Judge, Steve Blackwell, Luis Romero, Ricardo Garcia, Gwen Wion, Emma York Marzolf, Lisa Giencke, Jonathan Young, Zachary Wood

  *   Housekeeping: Upcoming training as Sarah mentioned on April 26th and 27th.  Please get target species list and estimates sent to Kelly by April 15th, as well as your timeline for both scouting and collecting (example: scouting from March to July, collecting from June to November). Let me know if anything is amiss regarding your access to the SOS digital data collection tools. New protocol is up on the SOS website (blm.gov/sos), new forms will be up momentarily.

  *   Who attended the NNS conference? Is there something you learned that you were excited to bring home?

  *   Smallest, fastest plants shown to be best competitors to invasive annual grasses in dryland environment, a surprising discovery. Highlights the importance of collecting from 50+ randomly selected plants in a population (rather than targeting what we perceive as the heathiest plants) to capture as much genetic diversity as possible.

  *   Updates on SOS progress- hiring technicians, target species list, scouting or early collections?

Cheers,
Sarah Hill

Sarah Hill

she/her/hers

Seeds of Success National Curator
Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>

Why I list my pronouns<https://pronouns.org/what-and-why>

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Shoshone, Bannock, and Paiute peoples.