[SOS-PCA] March 2022 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Wed Mar 2 14:03:26 CST 2022

Hi everyone,

Thanks to those who were able to attend our March call yesterday, and welcome to everyone who has just started in the past couple weeks!

Here are the call notes:

  *   Monthly calls and listserv: These calls will always be the first Tuesday of the month, on Microsoft Teams. If you can't be at a computer, there is always an audio call-in number associated with the Team's invite. These calls are required for all actively participating SOS collecting teams. Please send at least one team representative to every call. Our next call is April 5th.
     *   All call notes and reminders will go out over this listserv. The SOS listserv is a two-way listserv, so feel free to submit any questions, job postings, or relevant research/articles. The SOS listserv archive is a great way to review past call notes.
  *
  *   Training: If you would like to attend the April or May SOS training, please email me.
     *   The April training will be the 19th-20th and the May training will be the 10th and 11th. Both of these are virtual, and the April training will be through the BLM National Training Center, meaning you need to register through DOI Talent. I will send you registration instructions when the NTC opens the course.
     *   All of these trainings are invite-only, meaning they are meant for active collectors, mentors, and partners. Please do not share the invitation with anyone outside of your collecting team.
     *
  *   Target Species Lists: Each team should develop a target species list in coordination with their state and ecoregional botanists. These lists are due to me by the end of May. A template can be found on the SOS website, blm.gov/sos
  *
  *   Bend and Smithsonian updates: Kayla Herriman from Bend Seed Extractory and Erika Gardner from the Smithsonian Institute are two of our amazing SOS partners. If you have any questions about seeds, feel free to contact Kayla. And, for vouchers, contact Erika. Erika is now back in the office, so any remaining 2021 (or 2020!) vouchers you have can be sent to her. Both Kayla and Erika emphasized reading the SOS protocol and following it exactly! Especially when you get to the shipping stage, please ensure your collections and vouchers are securely packaged before sending them off. Both seeds and vouchers may sit unopened for weeks before they are finally processed, so make sure they are dry!
  *
  *   PLANTS USDA updates: Christine Taliga from the NRCS PLANTS team presented on some of the recent updates on the plants.usda.gov website. Future updates include adding pollen and seed images for plants and improved data downloading! SOS uses PLANTS for our taxonomy, and PLANTS uses the Flora of North America. If you are ever unable to find a taxa when you are inputting SOS data, please let me (Anna) know.

Thanks, happy collecting!
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator