[SOS-PCA] SOS November 2021 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Wed Nov 3 11:32:20 CDT 2021

Hi all,

As the season wraps up, I'd like to extend my heartfelt thanks for everyone's dedication and hard work. It's a pleasure working with all of you, and I sincerely appreciate all the communication, questions, and willingness you all have to continue to make SOS better! On our next call I will be asking everyone to share at least one lesson learned from the season, so please start thinking about that - it can be a new seed collecting technique, an easy way to identify a tricky species, or a shoutout to someone who provided excellent local guidance who you think future collectors should communicate with.

Here are the notes from yesterday's call. Our next call for the year will be December 7th.

  *   December 15th is the last day to submit your documentation to me. This includes the annual reports, data forms, photos, and entering your data into the web portal. Approximately 270 records are no in the database! Please remember to export and review your data after it has been entered to catch any mistakes or missing information. One of the most common mistakes I see is not utilizing the first "Date Collected" box before jumping to the "Date Range (free text)" box. Also, if you were not able to collect specimens for herbarium vouchers for some reason, please make a note of that in the "Herbaria receiving the specimens" box.
  *
  *   Sending your documentation to me via Google Drive folder or via email attachment is best.
  *
  *   Clearance Forms: If you know that you would like your seed back from this season, you can request the entire remaining balance by filling out the Clearance Form on the website. Note, the latest date you can request seed be shipped to you is May 31st, 2022. After May, you will need to use the Seed Order Form and it will cost you $30 to have the lot processed. That being said, if you do not have adequate/appropriate seed storage, we encourage you to leave your seeds at Bend until you are ready to use them.
  *
  *   Bend: Please send your collections in ASAP! Additionally, a reminder that the post office will not treat your seeds gently, so make sure they are sealed very well! If they do not pass the "shake test" with you, then they will not pass during transit either.
  *
  *   Smithsonian: Please continue to send herbarium vouchers to Smithsonian following the "Guide to Herbarium Specimens for Seeds of Success" on the website. The physical Smithsonian address for use in FedEx shipments is now updated on that document. Please stay away from scotch tape, staples, and paper clips. All that's needed is the specimen, label, and the newsprint.
  *

Thanks everyone!

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator