[SOS-PCA] 2021 SOS National Virtual Training Registration

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Mon Mar 8 14:39:15 CST 2021

Hi everyone,

Registration for the 2021 SOS Training - Seed Collecting for Conservation and Restoration - through the National Training Center is now open.
This 10-hour virtual course is open to both federal and non-federal partners, and will take place on Thursday, April 29th from 9 am - 1pm MST and Friday, April 30th from 9 am - 3 pm MST.

Material covered during the first day (4 hours with breaks) will include a history of the Plant Conservation and Restoration Program and SOS, the importance and uses of native plants, an overview of the SOS protocol, seed biology and long-term storage considerations and research, and a case study from an SOS collecting team. The second day (6 hours with breaks) will include a native plant taxonomy review, field preparedness, collecting seed and voucher specimens, post-collection seed care, the process for requesting native seed for restoration and rehabilitation projects, and the role of SOS in the restoration nexus.

If you are a DOI employee, you can register for the course by logging into DOI Talent and typing 1730-06 into the Course Shortname field, or by searching "seed" in the Course Name field. Registration includes both days.

***Note that the description on DOI Talent is NOT correct​​*** The actual course description is what you see above - the description on DOI Talent is from last year (this year is only 10 hours, all virtual, and does not cost $500 - even more reason to attend this year if you are able!)

If you are a non-federal partner and wish to attend the course, it is free, but you will need to create an external learner account with DOI Talent to register. I will email those of you who I know want to attend with further instructions.

Feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator